This Month's Texana Recipe Fried Chicken with Fry Bread & Gravy
A southern staple.
24 Chicken Tenderloins (or which ever part of the chicken you want to use)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
3 eggs beaten
1 tbsp water
1-2 quarts oil (canola, vegetable, or olive)
4 tbsp flour
2 1/2 c. milk
- Mix together flour, salt, pepper, and chili powder in shallow bowl.
- Beat eggs and water into separate shallow bowl.
- Coat chicken on eggs and flour and place in hot oil.
- Fry for 6-8 minutes, until golden brown, remove and place on paper towel lines plate or try.
- Combine left over egg and flour. Mix until dough forms.
- Carefully drop dough by the teaspoon into hot oil.
- Let fry until golden brown and place on paper towel.
- Remove most of oil from pan; keep 4 tsp oil in pan.
- Add 4 tbsp flour and whisk to make a roux.
- Add milk and continue to whisk on medium heat until boiling.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
From the kitchen of Rebecca Kinnison.